Sunday, October 19, 2008

Halloween houses and insanity

Last weekend A and C decorated their gingerbread Halloween houses - pictures of kids and finished products are shown.





This weekend I went insane.

Some background info. Until recently, we had three dogs; a Shepard mix, a Skye Terrier and a Silky Terrier. The Shepard and Skye were my Moms and moved in with us 10 years ago when she moved in after Daddy died. They were both around 1 at the time. I had the Silky only as I had lost my Shepard mix about 6 months earlier. Well, when Mom Passed on 3 years ago, I inherited her dogs. We lost the Shepard last Christmas when she got up on the kitchen counter, drug off on un-opened 2 lb bag of semi-sweet chocolate morsels. We knew she would get up on the counters after food, but never thought she could pull something from the very back, nor that she would have any interest in an unopened bag. Anyway, unfortunately, she didn't survive. The Skye we had to have put to sleep several months ago. She had cancer and had had it for 4 years or so and it finally got the better of her. I knew I wanted another dog, but was hesitant about getting one while the Silky was still alive. He is 16 years old and is deaf and blind, also incontinent and a pain in the heinie. I also didn't want to get new puppies just before I left for Vietnam for my son.

So, I got looking on the Internet on Friday at one of the Pet Finder sites and saw a couple of 3 month old Shepard pups. I was sorta interested and thought we'd go by and check them out - not really planning on getting one, just checking them out. Well, we couldn't find the shelter when we went to skating lessons so we went ahead and ran some errands. Decided to stop by and check out the local shelter (we live over the county line from where I'd seen the Shepard pups). It was about 30 minutes to closing, we went in and the guy said they didn't have any puppies, I'd said I wanted a puppy since I had cats and was concerned about getting an older dog. We went back to look anyway and there was a cage with a sign that said "Labrador Mix puppies - about 7 weeks old". To make a long story short. See the pictures below.

So now we have not one - but two - 7 week old lab mix puppies. They don't have names yet, although K is calling the little girl "Bramble". A wants to call the little boy "White Paw" because the toes of each foot are white, but I don't care for that name. Truthfully, I don't care for "Bramble" either and am calling her "Bumble" in an attempt to get K to change it, but so far no go. The little girl is a little over 5 lbs and the boy is about 6.5 lbs. K fell in love with the runt and since she was one of the only 2 smooth coats, we ended up with her. The Silky doesn't care except when they gang up on him and try to play and the cats are suspicious and insulted.

So far (after less than a day) the kids are good about taking the pups out side and playing with them. I only hope it stays that way once the novelty wears off.






No comments: