Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Day 11 - Wrapping up

A lousy internet connection in the room has prevented me from posting as much as I would have liked, but not a whole lot has happened the last couple of days anyway. Tuesday we went out and, intending only to pick up a couple more small Ao Dai's for my friend, managed to buy the two AoDai's for her, two more for my girls, PJs for Dat, and silk wrappers for the five of us. I also broke down and got a jade buddah for Dat, and jade earings and heart pendant for me. I had forgotten until this morning that I had promised to get carved boats for the boys so we will get that today.

We will be leaving shortly for the SOS clinic where Dat will have his Visa medical, while I am filling out forms there, Hang will do a quick trip to the immegration department to pick up Dat's passport. Afterwards we'll do the Visa interview at 2:00 pm. Don't know if we'll get the visa today or tomorrow as Hang dropped everything they need off yesterday so they have had everything but the passport for a day. Should be no problem getting the Visa tomorow anyway. We packed yesterday - everything but clothes for today and tomorrow so once we have the visa we'll head to the airport and just kick around until our midnight flight leaves.

Yay! Vietnam is beautiful and the people are wonderful, but I will be very glad to be heading home.

One note that I have found very strange. I have been changing dollars to dong, but really didn't have to. With the exception of a couple of restaraunts, every place quotes prices in dollars first and changes to dong only when I ask them to. One place yesterday gave me a price and when I pulled the dong out, they got upset and said that price was dollars not dong. I said "OK - what is the price in dong?", they converted and told me. The guy's attitude was along the lines of 'stupid american, how could you think it was so few dong?' Well, I expect to pay local currency for local products not american dollars. Althougth I did pay dollars for the silk as it would have left me with no dong otherwise.

No comments: