Tuesday, March 31, 2009

French Toast with Ketchup

One thing fun (?) about adopting an older child is observing their food choices. Do not know where this one came from, but last weekend I went to Sonic to get breakfast for everyone. Got Dat French Toast as I thought that would be the easiest thing for him to deal with - don't think they do bacon or sausage in Vietnam and I know scrambled eggs aren't a favorite with Dat. So he takes a bite of the toast with syrup and makes his 'icky, picky, ain't gonna eat it' face. Next thing we know, he is dunking his french toast into the ketchup for his tater tots, and scarfing it down. YUMMY (NOT!!!) We were trying not to gag watching him eat. I had to leave the room. I didn't try to stop him from eating it as there is nothing wrong with the combination - nutritionally - just not one I want to try. I'm also not fond of spagett-o's or soup for breakfast, but as long as he eats something, I'm not going to object - gag yes, object no (lol).

Today he had mac and cheese for breakfast and mac and cheese for lunch. Dinner was Cici's chicken soup broth (2 bowls) and two small slices of pizza. He ate the cheese pizza and ate half of the pepperoni slice after eating the pepperoni off first. I was surprised he even wanted the pizza, I expected him to eat the noodles and red sauce, but he wasn't interested. I am still trying to ease him into American food by cooking vaguely Asian food and taking him to a local Asian restaurant at least once a week. I am also trying to make him taste a wide variety of foods - everything one of the rest of us order, he has to take a bite of. He is pretty good about it and I hope to get him to eat better than C did her first year home. Was hard to get that child to eat anything but chicken fingers/bites/strips/ or similar foods. She eventually did branch out and include mac and cheese, but she still isn't an adventurous eater. She will eat the same foods all the time. She'll find one thing she likes at every restaurant and only order that from then on. So boring, so I am trying to make her try new foods too.

Dat is still doing well at school, everyone seems to love his smile and the kids in his class are trying to teach him English. He started ESL/ESOL today so we'll see how that goes, he also has a 6th grader who takes him twice a week and reads books to him. Teacher says he is doing really well parroting what is said to him, but isn't speaking English spontaneously yet. Wouldn't expect him to speak on his own yet - hasn't been here long enough, he doesn't parrot us here at home though.

He loves playing on the computer so I have bought him several (discounted) kindergarden prep games. He loves them and is picking a lot up fast.

He is such a sweet kid - I got lucky and was blessed a fourth time, now if only A would get over his jealousy and come back to the loving, caring, thoughtful child I know he can be.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

A will come around; it just might take a while!

Summer is a good bonding time and it is coming up fast!

Nancy

jcm6808 said...

I enjoyed having Dat in music this week! We played some fun games and he caught on quickly! The kids even chose him to be "it" a couple times and he did great! He seems very happy with the other students.

I can undertand what a challenge the food situation is!

Take care,
EM