Sunday, February 22, 2009

Day 1

We are in the Hanoi elegance 4 as the 3 was full and couldn't accomodate us for two weeks. The 4 insisted that they only had one of their 'Family Suites' with two beds available as I had first requested a smaller room with two beds. When we got here, they put us in a 'Junior Suite' with one king size bed. I asked and was told that the larger room wasn't available and I should ask this morning. This morning I was told that someone had requested the larger room last night before we arrived so they put us in the smaller room. I said it was ok until I got Dat, but I would need a larger room with two beds then. They were going to move us today, told us that the room was ready for us to move right after breakfast. Then I heard three women talking to the manager requesting a bigger room for two nights - I knew right away what would happen, sure enough, the room that was ready for us before breakfast disappeared and wouldn't be available until tomorrow. This room is fine for just Aidan and I, but will be too small when we get Dat. I don't want to cause a scene, but will need the larger room tomorrow, hopefully they will come through.

Still haven't heard from Hang so I don't know if our G&R is tomorrow or what is going on. I emailed her a few minutes ago and hope to hear something soon. Now that I am here, I am getting a bit impatient, and I HATE not having a clue what is happening when. Don't really need exact times, but would like to know that the G&R is this day, etc.

Aidan and I went out for a walk this morning. It is hot and humid so we didn't get far before mr energizer bunny started flagging and wanted to come back to the hotel. We are munching on the fruit tray that is in the room for lunch and will go out to eat a bit later - hopefully it will have cooled off a bit by then. I'm sure that jet-lag is playing a part in mr energizer bunnys' lack of energy. I feel a bit tired myself. Of course, I also think that the power going out during our breakfast so we had to climb 8 flights of steps to get to our room and walk back down again before we went for our walk didn't help much.

Vietnam reminds me so much of China; same type of architecture, same type of small stores jammed full of stuff; same gardens/wash lines/small animal enclosures on the roof tops; same crush of people. We had to keep stepping off the side walk and into the street to walk as the sidewalks were full of motor bikes parked. Not nearly as many bicycles here as China but lots more motor cycles. Do not like the people who try to sell you stuff - the ones with trays who follow you around asking you to buy. They just do NOT take no for an answer. I'll have to ask Hang what the Vietnamese term for NO is. Found some stores with BEAUTIFUL Ao Dais, Aidan found a couple of t-shirts with dragons, found some puzzle boxes in animal shapes that would do as good gifts for the girls and their friends if not too expensive. Didn't price anything, just looking today but did find a few things that I'll probably buy. Did find some Chinese style dresses that I'll check out for a friend whose girls have outgrown all she got in China. A lot of the 'stuff' is very similar to what you find in China also.

It is funny to see people's reaction to my long-haird son. Every body thinks he is a girl and does a double take when I tell them 'boy'.

Well, think I'll go read a while and hope to hear from Hang.

K and A - they keep trying to push pink things on me for my daughters.

3 comments:

Mrs. Hunt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Hunt said...

Terri & Aidan, I enjoyed reading about your journey so far. What an amazing experience for you both. Aidan, What is a wash line that your mom mentioned? I am glad to hear that you arrived safely. I thought about you all weekend. I can't wait to learn more about your trip!!
Sincerely,
Dena Hunt aka, Mrs. Hunt :)

Anonymous said...

Teri,
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Elegance. They were so attentive when we were there.

Here is Hang's phone number (0903286552). Just have the hotel front desk dial it for you, that is what we did.

We would just shake our head and say very clearly, 'No, thank you!' and don't look the persistant sales people in the eye. Just keep walking.

There is a restaurant on Hang Bong street almost toward the big intersection called Little Hanoi. We ate there several times. Also, if you go up to Highlands coffee they have a whole sandwich and lunch menu. We ate there often as well... the view is great. On the opposite side of the Lake across the street is Pho 24... my mouth still waters for it. There is also a great little coffee area along the lake that also has good lunch.

I will try to send you a list here later today.
I hope you get to meet up with Hang soon... I would call her that is the best way.