Monday, February 9, 2009

Step Two

So I emailed the Vietnam rep about changing the G&R date, her response was 'that's fine let me know as soon as you have travel dates' so I started talking to travel agents. I was just going to use the agency agent, but several had recommended another so I called him. I was interested in a flight on Korean Air that go from Dallas to Seoul to Hanoi - one stop. He didn't recommend Korean and was trying to get me to go with EVA, but EVA is more expensive - more comfortable but more expensive and we'd have to go to LA or SF to pick up the overseas flight. A is not the best traveller, basically because he still struggles to read (dyslexia) and it is difficult for him to sit still for hours on an airplane. I absolutely hate LAX and don't think SF is much better so the thought of flying there, then facing another long flight, then another just didn't appeal. Since money is tight, spending extra for a longer flight didn't appeal either. So I tossed it around and around and around then tried to figure out why the agency agent was quoting me a cheaper price for the Korean Air flight than the other agent was. Never really did figure it out, but went with the agency agent. Someone later told me that agents will make deals with certain airlines - they get paid no matter which airline you pick but the airlines they have deals with will pay them more for steering customers to that airline. And sometimes they will give the agent a discount on tickets if they steer a lot of customer. Whatever, I have tickets for a lower price than I anticipated, yeah, i won't have a lot of legroom, but will be able to lift the arm rest between A's and my seat and spread out a bit.

Got the girls settled - arrangements made, need to register C in a after-school place for the two weeks as the family who is watching her have their girls there. Dogs have a reservation at a doggy B&B so they will be fine. This place watched our previous dogs for 3 months when we moved here so I know they are good. K will be able to stop by the house every couple of days to clean litter boxes and feed cats so they will be fine in the house, we have the feeders that hold several days of food so they don't need to be fed every day.

Got D a backpack and of course one for A, got a couple pairs of pants and matching T-shirts for the boys as well as a few games for them to play. Need some comfort food for A to take in case he doesn't like Vietnamese food (not really concerned about this but want some noodles and stuff in case we just don't feel like going out one day).

It is coming along and I probaly will be ready to travel when the time comes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It will all come together... I can't wait for you to meet D. He is such a cute little boy.