Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Day 3 - slightly anticlamatic but Dat is mine

I have Dat now and he is officially mine. The boys are now tossing a tennis ball around as they try out all the toys I got for them to play with.

We got up later than yesterday, I slept until 5 and A slept until about 7. Breakfast then waiting for Hang to arrive around 12. She arrived and we walked down the alley to meet her. In the car and drive for 2+ hours. Got to the adoption place, and there was adorable Dat waiting for us. They had me sit in a particular chair then sign what felt like 2 dozen papers. Then the adoption official had me promise to love him, take care of him, treat him as I would a biological child, send the reports and bring him back one day to visit. They introduced themselves again and asked if I wanted to say anything. Caught cold, all I could think to say was something along the lines of 'Thank you for letting me have him and for taking care of him until I could get here". Then they took pictures and we left. I don't think the whole thing took 30 minutes. Back in the car for another 2 hour drive back to Hanoi. Of course, I didn't get any pictures as I was busy signing papers but Hang said they would send me copies of the ones they took.

Decided not to go to the orphanage as Dat was totally ready to leave with us. He has been beautifully prepared for being adopted and was ready to move on. Hang talked with the orphanage director and they felt he would be confused by going back. I felt sure I could beg copies of the pictures Emily took at the orphanage when they were there last month (please, please Emily) so I didn't object.

Got back to the city just in time for rush hour, I thought people in China drove crazy, here you have motor bikes competing with cars and a few bicycles and of course - pedestrians tossed in for good measure. If their side of the road is too slow, they will drive on the wrong side. Dear Heavens. Hang took us to a great restaurant for dinner, then back to the hotel. Dat is playing with each toy for a few minutes, then moving on to the next. A is watching TV and I don't think Dat has seen much TV before, he is totally captivated by Tom and Jerry. A is sitting in the bed watching and Dat is on the floor. I don't know how I am going to tell him to get ready for bed. A sleeps in gym shorts and I didn't get Dat any pj's as I didn't know whether he would use them or not.

We'll meet Hang at 8:30 tomorrow morning to apply for his passport, then we are free until next Thursday. Hang seems to think that we can get his passport, do the medical and the Visa interview all the same day which means will be able to get his visa and make our flight (Please God - I need prayers that we can make this happen, I really don't want to stay here over an extra weekend.

Got him into the gym shorts without any problem, a little pantomime and he changed. He seems to be a very bright little boy albeit a little overwhelmed by all the new stuff. Luckily I didn't bring much. The matchbox cars and track are a BIG hit.

Oh, on another note, the kid has quite an arm, he was easily tossing darts clear across the room which A couldn't do consistently. There may be baseball in this guys future.

Now A is teaching him to jump from bed to bed. I forsee hospital visits in the future too.

9 comments:

Joan said...

Congrats!!! Hope all goes well.

mmosley said...

Pictures!?!!??

Everything is great at home.
C. is having fun with my A. and all is well.

Michele

Nancy said...

Congratulations! and I cannot wait to see some photos!

Nancy

Anonymous said...

I told you he was athletic!
I am so happy for you and Dat!

Of course you can have copies of all the pictures... and I have lot's of video too! I will get them to you asap.

Congratulations!

One Blessed Mama said...

Congratulations Terri,

So happy to hear that you are a mommy again. Have a great trip.

Djuna in MD home 4 weeks with Amelia

jcm6808 said...

I am so happy for you guys! Please tell A that we miss him. Have a safe trip back!

~E. Moran

Anonymous said...

I am so happy Dat is safe and happy with his new family! He was my buddy at the orphanage when we were there for Elizabeth. He's such a good little boy and we loved that smile! Enjoy the rest of your time in Hanoi. Tell Hang hello for us.

Safe travels,

Elizabeth's dad

Bailey5 said...

Congratulations to you all! Can't wait to meet Dat when he gets home.

Nic says hi to A. Both boys have been asking me to read your blog to them!

Alicia

Mrs. Hunt said...

YEAH!!! You are now a party of 5! :) Congratulations!
I know A. is a big help right now and Dat has a great Big Brother. I can't wait to meet him. A, we miss you and are excited for your return to school.

Mrs. Hunt